Design / Build
The Design/Build approach replaces the traditional method of awarding separate contracts for design and for construction. On a Design/Build job, the contractor and architect/engineer are allied and work together to serve the owner. The owner, contractor, and architect/engineer work as a TEAM to design and build a project that satisfies the needs of the owner.
Some of the advantages of a Design/Build contract include the following:
- You get early cost input from the contractor. A price is put on conceptual design ideas as they are developed.
- A GUARANTEED MAXIMUM PRICE can be determined early, right after the scope of the project is established.
- Time can be saved because construction can begin before the design is completed. Example: architect could be completing interior designs while the site and foundation work is underway. This technique is called FAST TRACKING.
- The need for high cost change orders is eliminated.
- Architectural and engineering fees are kept to a minimum, and determined from the beginning.
- Contractor fees are kept to a minimum and are determined from the beginning.
- Legal fees are kept to a minimum by eliminating the adversary roles.
- Construction costs are minimized by using the latest systems and methods that the contractor KNOWS are cost effective.
- Chances for misunderstandings are minimized with the team approach.
- You get the best ideas from your team members due to the cooperative team spirit.
- Realistic completion dates are established by the contractor who will do the work.
- You can take advantage of special services such as a preliminary feasibility study, value engineering, and life cycle cost analysis.